Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 6 November 2011

On Display!

I am very excited to have a fabulous opportunity to share a few pieces of my work to the public! I will be bringing a selection of smaller pieces and a few larger ones to the Rosebud Mercantile in the lovely little town of Rosebud, AB ~ best known for its theatre and vibrant arts scene. If you are in the area for one of the Christmas shows this season, take some time to check out the goods. They will be available to view and purchase Wednesday to Saturday 10:30-1:30 and Thursday to Saturday 5-8:30 as well.


One of the pieces I hope to show is this pretty little secretary desk that I found in a Calgary thrift store, freshly unloaded. It didn't even have a price tag on it so I had to sweet talk several unhappy shippers to help me secure it for my very own!






I thought that I would like to give it a distinctly feminine quality so I mixed up some of my own Benjamin Moore paints that I had on hand to create a very soft petal pink that 
felt very sweet and warm.


This is one of my favourite pieces so far. I love the way the distressing gives it an old feel and the silver makes it just so light and pretty. This is a piece for a princess.




I refinished the drawer pulls and distressed them as well. The inside needed a bit of something pretty too. I can see this in a nursery to store diapers and baby potions or in a girl's room as a little desk and storage area.






I have also put together a selection of smaller pieces that I don't normally sell on-line. My mission is to try and make ordinary things special and have them add to the character and charm of a home. Sometimes smaller, functional things can help to do this in a big way. 


I love memo boards and little places to communicate with my family and guests. Chalkboards and dry erase boards are great for this, but can look a little "office-y". I have a place in my kitchen where I write the family "menu" for the week. That way everybody knows what is coming for each evening meal and I don't have to answer the most annoying question faced by parents everywhere at 4:30 ~ "What's for dinner???" Anyway, I made something like this for my house so I was inspired to take it to another level.





I used a very dated picture frame with good glass. I painted and distressed the wood and mounted a fabric remnant under the glass. It is sunny and pretty even when you don't need to write on it. The dry erase markers work just as well on glass and it looks so much more sophisticated...




As I have been working to get a decent group of pieces together, my listings will be a bit on the light side this week. I do have several really interesting commissioned items that I will be posting and lots coming up!


If you are on Facebook, I have a page there that will post to your newsfeed when I have a new listing to share and other news. Check it out here.


I really appreciate all of the kind and supportive emails I receive from total strangers that read this blog and like what they see. It makes me very happy and inspired to keep trying new and fun things. Let me know if you would like to see something that you have re-invented into something special for your home!


I will add more of what I am working on for Rosebud as I get it all together this week!

No comments: