Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 4 December 2011

School Days

I just realized that it has been a very long time since my last post! I haven't listed any new items for several weeks either as I have been so busy with doing some custom pieces and managing our new little addition Lucy. She is a 6lb, 3 month old cairn terrier/westie cross. She is a lot of fun, but a bit of work...




I think I have a schedule worked out at last. She is good company and I am totally in love with her!


The most recent piece that I am featuring here is an old oak teacher desk and chair. It had that old-timey institutional feel to it. You could almost smell the chalk dust....






My good friend Brenda had this in her basement and was going to get rid of it. I was more than happy to take it off her hands, but a few weeks later, she decided that she would like it made-over for her toddler son for his room. It is the perfect size for a transition piece from baby to little boy. She had already picked out his new bedding and had a colour scheme in mind so I used that as my inspiration on the chair.






I spray painted the metal frame with Krylon's green ivy and painted the stripes on the back and seat with paint that coordinated with the new linens. I lightly distressed the striped and sprayed the newly painted wood with a poly for extra durability. I love the way it turned out ~ it looks fun and fresh! Perfect for a little boy!


Brenda wanted the desk to be red. Painting with red always requires a little extra patience and work as to get good coverage means at least 3 or 4 coats. I think the results are worth the effort...




I added a few little stamps to the drawer pulls for fun.




The pull out writing board needed an upgrade for the 2 year old as well and a few coats of chalkboard paint did the trick.




I distressed the edges a little bit and rubbed a layer of wax over the surface. 




I have had this finished in my basement for a little while, but as Brenda lives several hours away, we have not been able to coordinate a time to get it back to her house. My father in law is coming for a visit today and has graciously offered to be my delivery guy. I am excited to see it installed in its new home!


Posts will be a little slower as we get closer to Christmas. I have a few smaller pieces that I hope to list, but I have committed to several custom orders as well. This time of year time gets to be crunched in a big way but I have so many ideas for January! Stay with me ~ I am so touched by the emails and encouragement...

No comments: