Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday 31 March 2011

True Blue

{Weathered Blue Shelf}
*SOLD*


It is starting to feel like spring here in the shadow of the Rockies ~ not time to break out the flip flops, but at least the grass is starting to poke through the melting snow. I am thinking about my tulip bulbs sleeping away in the frozen ground and wondering when they will start to wake up. In Alberta, it will probably be June...

Anyway, this beautiful turquoise colour is everywhere right now and I really love it. It would be a big commitment in a large space, but as a little pop here and there, it feels so fresh and trendy while giving a nod to the 50s.

I found this sweet shelf last week in a thrift store in a very small town into which I dragged my poor 10 with me. I was ready to leave it there but he talked me into it and now I am so glad he did. It came home with us looking like this:


Not bad, but it lacked the whimsical note that I love so much. I removed the wooden hooks and gave it a stern sanding. The original paint was oil based and very glossy so I wanted to take that shine down. I gave it a few coats of Benjamin Moore's Tropicana Cabana (how can you resist a name like that?) and then a serious distressing using my trusty sanding sponge. It still looked a little vibrant for me ~ I wanted a more beachy and aged feel. I rubbed a coat of walnut stain over the whole piece, leaving it a little heavy in the nooks and crannies. I replaced the wood hooks with pretty little glass knobs and gave the whole unit a rub down with a layer of wax and polished her up. I am so pleased with the results...

The exposed wood picks up the stain so well.

Pretty glass knobs!





I think this would look so cute in a bathroom or a little nook in a bedroom. The new hardware would hold necklaces or a purse very nicely.

It is 23 1/2"L x 5 1/4"D x 8"H.

If you are interested in this little cutie, you can pick it up HERE

1 comment:

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

So pretty, I love how it turned out!

XO
Lenore