Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday 8 July 2011

From Shabby to Chic



{Commission}


This is a dresser with great bones that Aleisha found at an estate sale. 






It had obviously seen much better days, but was still in pretty decent condition underneath all that paint and dust. Aleisha saw the potential and was inspired by this picture:


The style of the dressers were very similar and I thought that this would be the perfect way to re-imagine this tired old piece of furniture.

The paint was layered with a couple different colours and was the tough old oil paint. It required a lot of sanding and prep to get it ready to repaint, but I think that the effort paid off.


I did keep the bottom drawer and finish it along with the rest of the piece just in case she decided she needed it as a dresser after all. I went to Home Depot and had them cut a piece of hard board for me to fit in the drawer space and painted it to match the rest of the dresser.


Now it is like a convertible... Lots of options!

I tried to keep the spirit of the inspiration photo while also keeping the character of the piece itself by letting some of the original paint layers and wood show through after some distressing.





I changed the hardware and added some wallpaper to line the drawers.


I think it turned out well and Aleisha has a beautiful new piece  of furniture in her home that adds character and charm. I loved doing this ~ thanks Aleisha!


No comments: