Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 29 January 2012

{Spring Nursery Project}

This project was so much fun! Lily contacted me a few months ago to see about doing a project for her baby's nursery. This mama-to-be is so organized ~ her babe is not due until April, but she was getting the nursery all ready for his arrival. I like the idea of doing any painting for a baby room a month or so early to be sure to rid the space of any left over odours. She started scouring Kijiji and thrift stores in search of the perfect furniture and she really scored big when she came upon this treasure:


What an amazing set ~ great for storage and display and does not scream baby, so it is a fabulous piece to grow up with. It had started a cream colour I think, but had become very discoloured and much of the surface had started to peel. Also, those pulls really needed to go ~ FAST. 

Lily wanted it to be blue, but aside from that, she gave me a lot of freedom. This is what I came up with:


I painted it Benjamin Moore Buxton Blue, but I wanted it to pop a little more ~ it just looked like it had been painted blue. I wanted it to look more customized than that! After lining the back with a paintable wallpaper to add some texture, I painted it the same blue. It still needed a little more zing so I very lightly distressed the edges and gave the entire piece a walnut stain rub. I know that some of the other furniture in the nursery would be an espresso colour so I decided to play that up a little bit. The stain sticks in corners and crevices and adds a little more interest to the edges and  details. I heavily stained the back area and coated it with poly for extra protection. Since there would be 12 new pulls needed between the two pieces, I decided to use new wood knobs to help keep the costs down. I stained these to match and coated them in poly as well. After everything was dry, I rubbed everything with a furniture wax to add a nice lustre and some protection.





It has made me so happy to make Lily happy! I wish her all the health and happiness a new mama needs in the next few months. This baby is already very loved!


I am booking into February for projects so if you have anything you would like to see transformed to match your style, let me know! I would love to try and capture your vision.

I am also on Facebook and if you are too, drop by my page there. I am coming up on my one year anniversary in February and I want to do a give-away. It will be something decorative and easy to fit into any decor ~ you just need to be able to pick it up or arrange to have it picked up in Airdrie. More details to follow this week!

No comments: