Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, 16 October 2011

Taking Some Risks

I have been really trying to get our bedroom looking a little more sophisticated and a little less "college-y". Our kids are now closer to college than we are.

Last year I found a duvet cover that really inspired me. I can't tell you why, but I really fell in love with it. It just connected on a level that only a duvet cover can. If this has happened to you, you will know what I mean. It took a lot of work and a cross border trip to Montana to actually secure this linen, so I am very motivated to make it work for the long-term.

I have been working to incorporate a bench at the end of the bed. I am on a budget so I wanted to do it on the cheap. I found this bench on Kijiji and thought it would work after a little overhaul:


I sanded and sanded this baby and then sprayed it a green to match my beloved duvet. I went to re-upholster the top and as I took off the old fabric, I realized that the whole interior was soaking wet and covered in MOULD! Out to the trash (while holding my breath!). It did seem dry to the touch, but it was really bad on the inside. This is a hazard of the second hand purchase. Anyway, I took a quick trip to Home Depot and they were more than happy to cut a piece of MDF to size for me. This was only another $8 or so. Good to breath non-mouldy air. I finished it with a less "cushy" layer of foam and I am really loving the way it turned out:


So the next thing was the night stands. I had been using Ikea tables. There was nothing really wrong with them. but I wanted to add a little more fun. I am not really a fan of the whole matchy-matchy bedroom set so I was happy to find this set of end tables and a coffee table:


Straight out of the 80s!

Did you know that if you use this


you can spray paint glass? This blew my mind a little bit so I was more than eager to give it a try.


I laid out the glass. I decided I wanted it to look a little bit fun so I picked up some vinyl decals at Dollarama.


I created a design on the glass and covered them with the frosted glass spray.


I covered that with the same green that I painted the bench with.


I then removed the decals. For the sharpest contrast, do this while the paint is still wet.

In the meantime I had painted the side tables a pale grey. I put it all together and was very pleased with myself!


There are TWO!


It is so great when things work out the way that you hope they will.

Anyway, I put it all together and I am very happy with the way it is coming together.


That is a coffee station in the corner. Early morning java is very important to me.... I think I will be moving that now as the tables take up a little more room.

The point is that sometime taking some risks can turn out alright and then your style can really shine through.

2 comments:

scrapmebaby said...

That bedding is SUPER fabulous!! Love the end table redos. I am working on my bedroom too, so far just the night tables and a dresser but hoping it looks as good as yours does:)

hour25 said...

Thanks! It seems like it is always a work in progress...